Maryalyce Cox joined
MehaffyWeber in 1999 and became a shareholder in 2005. She specializes in civil
litigation defense, with an emphasis in retail and restaurant defense,
products liability, premises liability, toxic tort, environmental cases, and
insurance defense. Maryalyce has successfully tried to verdict personal injury
and property damage cases in various jurisdictions in Texas state courts. She
is licensed to practice in Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. Maryalyce volunteers
her time to serve as President of the Ray Walsh Foundation, a non-profit
organization dedicated to eradicating cancer and helping cancer patients with
Awards and Recognitions
- Selected to the Texas Rising Star list, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) 2006-2012
- Selected to the Texas Super Lawyer list, Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) 2013-2016
- The Top Lawyers in Houston, HTexas Magazine (Bayou City Publishing), 2011-2013
- The Top Women in Business, HTexas Magazine (Bayou City Publishing), 2012
- 5.0 out of 5- AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
News and Events
- MehaffyWeber Attorneys Selected to the 2014 Texas Super Lawyers
- 14 MehaffyWeber Attorneys Named "Houston's Top Lawyers" by HTexas Magazine for 2013
- 12 MehaffyWeber Attorneys Recognized in 2013 Super Lawyers Business Edition
- HTexas Magazine Names Six MehaffyWeber Shareholders "2012 Houston's Top Lawyers in Houston"
- Eight MehaffyWeber Attorneys Recognized as Texas Rising Stars for 2012
- Fifteen MehaffyWeber Attorneys Recognized as Texas Rising Stars
- Seventeen MehaffyWeber attorneys selected as Texas Rising Stars for 2009
- Eighteen MehaffyWeber attorneys named Rising Stars for 2008
- Maryalyce W. Cox Passes Louisiana Bar Exam
- Maryalyce Cox and Susan Hardie Jacks named 2006 Shareholders
- 12 MehaffyWeber attorneys named Rising Stars
- Tom Hampton, et al v. Petrotex Fuels, Inc. in Jefferson County, Texas, M.C. Carrington and Maryalyce Cox successfully received a summary judgment on liability in a breach of contract case between a gas station owner and a petroleum motor fuel distributor. They also won damages on a counter claim tried to a jury.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of an insurance company in a personal injury trial in Jefferson County, Texas.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of a premises client in a business dispute trial in Jefferson County, Texas, and received damages on our client's counter-claim
- Participated in successful appeal of an eminent domain case.
- Obtained summary judgment on a hotly contested statute of limitations issue in a toxic tort case.
- Successfully argued a special appearance for a Canadian distributor in a products liability case. The trial resulted in a large verdict against the manufacturer, after the Canadian distributor won its special appearance.
- “Fit for Human Consumption,” Food and Safety Law; Food Safety Solutions eMagazine, Winter 2013
- "I Didn't See That Coming! Foreseeing Criminal Activity on Your Premises," November 2012; Hospitality Lawyer eMagazine
- “Proper Employee Training: The First Step in Preventing Personal Injuries,” CMAA Legal Newsletter, Summer 2012
- “Avoiding a Negligent Security Case: Keeping Guests Safe and Hotels Out of the Courtroom,” Hotel Management, January 2012
- “Eliminating the Risk and Liability of Foodborne Illnesses;” Food Safety Solutions, Summer 2010
- “Back to the Basics-Simple Steps to Take to Avoid Accidents on Your Premises,” Hospitality Lawyer’s Food and Beverage Newsletter, May, 2010
- “Joint Defense Agreements,” Defense Research Institute’s, For The Defense, 2001
- Mackrell International – Hospitality Webinar
- “Back to the Basics-Simple Steps to Take to Avoid Accidents on Your Premises,” Sabine Area Restaurant Association,Beaumont,Texas, January 8, 2012
- Hospitality Law CLE -Food and Beverage Breakout Session (panel member,) Houston,Texas, February 10, 2011