Bob Black has been with MehaffyWeber since his 1980 graduation, summa cum laude, from Texas Tech University School of Law. Bob was President of the State Bar of Texas in 2011-12. He was previously Chair of the Board of Directors of the State Bar of Texas in 2006-07. His presidential initiative Oyez Oyez Oh Yay!, received the 2012 National Association of American Bar Executives/Lexis Nexis Award for Community Outreach and Education.
He has tried many cases and mediated or arbitrated more than 4,100 additional legal matters. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association Roster of Neutrals. Bob has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America since 2003. He has been a Texas Super Lawyer since 2004 and a Top 100 Lawyer in the Houston region on multiple occasions. H Texas magazine has recognized him as a Houston “Top Lawyer” for ADR again this year. Bob was ranked by Chambers and Partners® in the inaugural rankings for Mediators Nationwide. Bob is one of 20 mediators recognized nationwide.
In 2014, he was chosen as a Texas Legal Legend by the Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas, the youngest ever selected. He has also been honored as a Distinguished Alumnus of Texas Tech School of Law and University of Texas at El Paso.
Awards and Recognitions
- Ranked by Chambers and Partners® in the inaugural rankings for Mediators Nationwide
- Honored as the 15th Texas Legal Legend by the Litigation Section of the State Bar of Texas, 2014 (Bestowed on lawyers who have made significant contributions to the practice of law in Texas, to the community and to the State Bar)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in America® since 2003
- Recognized as “Best Lawyers' 2011 and 2012 for Beaumont Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants Lawyer of the Year.”
- Recognized as “Best Lawyers' 2017 for Beaumont Product Liability Litigation - Defendants Lawyer of the Year.”
- Selected for inclusion as a Texas Super Lawyer®, Super Lawyers, in Texas Monthly magazine since 2004,
- Selected for inclusion Top 100 Lawyers in the Houston Region, Super Lawyers, for 2010, 2012 and 2016
- Selected for inclusion in “Texas Super Lawyers List for Ten Consecutive Years,” 2013
- Received the national NABE/Lexis Nexis Award for Public Education and Community Outreach, 2012, presidential initiative, Oyez, Oyez, Oh Yay!
- State Bar of Texas-Certificate of Merit (for his leadership and outstanding contributions to the legal profession), 2009
- Named one of Houston’s Top Lawyers by HTexas magazine, 2013-2015
- Recognized by Martindale-Hubbell as a “Texas’ Top Rated Lawyer®” AV® Preeminent™ Rated in ADR
- State Bar of Texas-Certificate of Merit (for his leadership and outstanding contributions to the legal profession), 2006
News and Events
- MehaffyWeber Managing Partner, Bob Black, Named to Chambers USA
- Ten MehaffyWeber Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America for 2014
- Bob Black Honored as Texas Legal Legend
- Bob Black Appointed to the Board of Disciplinary Appeals by the Supreme Court of Texas
- Bob Black, Immediate Past President of the State Bar of Texas
- Bob Black sworn in as State Bar of Texas President
- Robert A. Black, M. C. Carrington and Sandra F. Clark have been recognized by Best Lawyers as Lawyers of the Year 2012
- Bob Black Honored as Distinguished Alumnus Award for 2011 by the Texas Tech Law School
- Bob Black nominated for President Elect of the State Bar of Texas
- Bob Black Receives Certificate of Merit from the State Bar of Texas
- Robert Black elected Chair of State Bar Board
- Bob is currently an Appeals Panelist for the Deepwater Horizon Multi-District Litigation (2012-present) and has handled more 450 appeals in that matter.