MehaffyWeber, a leading regional litigation and business firm, is expanding its litigation team by adding five new attorneys to its Houston office. Michael Magee, David Wilson, Preston Hutson, Kyle Weynand, and Efrain Gonzalez add years of trial experience to the firm. These attorneys will add valuable experience in the practice areas of construction defect defense, oil and gas, personal injury, trucking, products liability and insurance defense. In addition, this move will allow MehaffyWeber to provide legal services in Nevada, with the opening of a Las Vegas office.
“We are excited and proud to welcome these fine lawyers to our firm,” commented Bob Black, MehaffyWeber Managing Shareholder and former State Bar of Texas President. “Many of us have worked closely with them in the past and look forward to many years of successful collaboration in the future.”
About the team:
- Michael Magee has joined the firm as a Shareholder. Magee is a defense trial lawyer who has tried over 75 cases to verdict in State and Federal court. He represents a wide variety of clients, including oil and gas companies, property owners, road contractors and trucking companies. Mike's practice primarily focuses on personal injury litigation. Mike became Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law in 1997. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates and been named a Texas Super Lawyer for the past seven years. Outside the courtroom, he is active in the community. He has been a volunteer for the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo for the past 25 years.
- David Wilson, Shareholder, practices in the area of business and construction litigation in both Texas and Nevada. He has tried well over 100 cases as first chair lawyer in a variety of cases. He has also served as lead counsel in over 60 appellate cases, including at the Texas Supreme Court. Consistent with his experience, his practice includes extensive trial and appellate representation as lead counsel, primarily on behalf of the construction, manufacturing, insurance and oil and gas industries. In addition, David’s background as a prosecutor has also provided him opportunities to defend business and high-profile clients in many aspects of government relations, including administrative proceedings and white collar criminal defense. He serves on the Advisory Board of Crime Stoppers of Houston and the Board of Directors of the South Texas College of Law Alumni Association.
- Preston Hutson has joined as Of Counsel and focuses his practice primarily in the area of general civil litigation. He has spent the majority of his 20-year career defending businesses against all manner of personal injury claims, from general negligence and premises liability claims, to dram shop liability, and allegedly defective products. Preston’s experience includes managing large, multi-party defective products litigation involving numerous claims across multiple jurisdictions. He is an Associate Editor of the Houston Lawyer magazine published by the Houston Bar Association.
- Kyle Weynand joins as an associate, and works with individuals, businesses and corporations on a variety of commercial, construction and employment litigation. His practice primarily involves handling complex issues in the energy and commercial construction industries including matters and disputes relating to breach of contract, breach of warranty, liens, indemnity, payment and performance bonds, delay and disruption claims, construction defects, and products liability.
- Efrain Gonzalez joins as an associate, is a civil trial attorney with experience representing clients in various civil litigation matters, including contractual disputes involving damages resulting from catastrophic natural disasters, wrongful death and injury claims resulting from explosions, commercial property damage claims resulting from fires, and various product liability claims. Prior to joining the firm’s litigation team, Efrain worked for the Office of the Attorney General of Texas and the Harris County District Attorney’s Office during his law school tenure.
All five attorneys were previously members of LeClairRyan and bring over seventy-five years of experience to the firm. Magee, Wilson, and Hutson were members with the Houston law firm, Hays McConn, Rice & Pickering.
About MehaffyWeber, P.C.
Founded in 1946 by two well-known trial lawyers, MehaffyWeber has evolved into a broad-based regional law firm with strong emphasis in commercial, pharmaceutical, labor and employment, health care, premises, product liability, toxic tort, and environmental litigation. The firm’s trial lawyers are licensed to practice in state and federal courts throughout Texas, Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, and Oklahoma. The firm regularly functions as national and regional counsel for several clients. MehaffyWeber has represented 1/3 of the current Fortune 100 companies in complex litigation and has handled the legal interests of clients from multi-national corporations, to businesses of all size to individuals.