M.C. Carrington joined MehaffyWeber, P.C. upon graduation from Texas Tech University School of Law in 1982. He is an accomplished trial lawyer having been inducted into the American College of Trial Lawyers. M.C. has tried to verdict over forty cases in the last nine years with the vast majority resulting in verdicts favoring his clients. The cases have included toxic tort litigation, products liability, oil and gas, premises liability, premises security, commercial litigation and employment discrimination. Many of these trials have been in the courts of Jefferson County, Texas. Included in these cases is his successful defense of a landmark $173 million deepwell case reported in many national publications, including the DRI “For the Defense” and the National Law Journal. M.C. is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in both Personal Injury Trial Law and Civil Trial Law and is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He has been a member of the firm’s Management Committee from 2000 to 2005 and 2012 to present.
Awards and Recognitions
- Altec “All-Star” Award, 2008, 2012, 2013, given by Altec Industries
- “Meeting the Challenge Award,” 2012, given by E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company (recognized for their sustained contributions to the DuPont Legal Model, positive case results in various areas of litigation, support of DuPont's diversity programs and outstanding commitment in the provision of pro bono legal services)
- Best Lawyers in America® , 2003 to present
- Best Lawyers’ 2012 Beaumont Commercial Litigation - Lawyer of the Year
- Texas Super Lawyer® 2003 to present
“Top 100 Houston Region,” 2008 to 2010 2012, 2014
- Texas Super Lawyer Corporate Counsel Edition in Class Actions/Mass Torts since 2008
- "AV" Preeminent™ Peer Review® Rating by Martindale-Hubbell for 25 years
- Recognized by Martindale-Hubbell™ as a “Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers®” AV® Preeminent™ Rated, 2011-2014
News and Events
- Ten MehaffyWeber Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America for 2014
- MehaffyWeber Attorneys Selected to the 2014 Texas Super Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes Eleven Lawyers from MehaffyWeber in 2013 Edition
- The Best Lawyers in America® Recognizes Seven Lawyers from MehaffyWeber in 2012 Edition
- M.C. Carrington presented with 2012 "Altec All-Star Award"
- Best Lawyers® as "Lawyers of the Year" 2012
- DuPont General Counsel Tom Sager presented the DuPont Legal Challenge Award to M.C. Carrington and Sandra Clark
- 13 MehaffyWeber Attorneys Selected as 2012 Texas Super Lawyers®
- 13 MehaffyWeber Attorneys Chosen as Texas Monthly Super Lawyers®
- Fifteen MehaffyWeber Attorneys Named Super Lawyers 2008
- M. C. Carrington was presented with the Altec "All-Star" Awardfor 2008
- Four MehaffyWeber Attorneys Chosen as Best Lawyers in America 2007
- 14 MehaffyWeber Attorneys Named Texas Super Lawyers for 2006
- M.C. Carrington selected as a faculty member for International Association of Defense Counsel Trial
- M.C. Carrington inducted into American College of Trial Lawyers, 2006
- M.C. Carrington recently concluded a 4 ½ month trial in which he led a team that obtained a unanimous verdict in favor of a private equity firm involved in a leveraged buyout. The jury deliberated 8 days before finding that the Defendant, another private equity firm acting as a lender, failed to act in good faith and that its actions in an attempt to take control of the company made the subject of the leveraged buyout were invalid, violated Texas corporate law and did not comply with Texas corporate governance. As a result, the attempted corporate takeover by the Defendant private equity firm was invalid and Carrington’s client still is the legal owner of the company. In addition, the jury unanimously found in favor of Carrington’s client on each of the counterclaims filed by the Defendant which sought damages in excess of $157,000,000 dollars. The case was tried in the 60th District Court of Jefferson County, Beaumont Texas.
- E.G. Cordts, Jr. vs. DuPont- Successful defense of a landmark $173 million deepwell case for Fortune 500 client. Case was reported in many national publications, including the DRI “For the Defense” and the National Law Journal.
- Bolling vs. Altec- Defense verdict for client in a product defect case where plaintiff argued for $2.5 million. After a two week trial in federal court, the jury returned a verdict finding no negligence on our client and also finding that there was no defect in the design or marketing of their products.
- Whisnant vs. DuPont- Successful defense of a product liability case lasting over six weeks. The plaintiff was a contractor employee who claimed exposure to asbestos while working on various DuPont premises. He was diagnosed with mesothelioma and died of the disease. Our client, DuPont, alleged that it was not negligent and not a proximate cause of the plaintiff's injury. The jury found that DuPont was not negligent. The plaintiffs demand was $42 million plus punitive damages.
- Regional counsel for multiple Fortune 500 clients in cases involving claims of product defect and premises injury.
- “Texas Evidence and Civil Procedure Update,” 2012 Advanced Civil Trial Law Seminar, Corpus Christi Bar Association, April 27, 2012
- “Opening Statement,” 30th Annual Texas Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, Houston, Texas, March 29-30, 2012
- “Texas Evidence & Civil Procedure Update,” 28th Annual Litigation Update, State Bar of Texas, Las Colinas, Texas, January 19, 2012
- “Innovations in Settlements, ADR, and Trial,” Panel member, HarrisMartin Benzene Litigation Conference, November 2-3, 2006, Miami, Florida
- “Taking the Deposition of Expert Witnesses in Premises Liability Cases,” Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Fall Meeting, September, 2001
- "Texas Law on Premises Liability," CLE for Gulf Insurance, Dallas, Texas, March 1999
- "Texas Law on Premises Liability," CLE for Mid-Continent Insurance, December 1998
- "Texas Law on Premises Liability," CLE for CNA Insurance, Houston, Texas, November 1996
- “Premise Liability for Violent Crimes Seminar,” Defense Research Institute, April 17, 1994
- “Civil Trial Specialty,” Certification Review Seminar, State Bar of Texas, January, 1994