There have been dramatic changes in the way businesses interact with customers, brought about by increasingly new technological capabilities. We now have unprecedented challenges in managing the privacy and cybersecurity risks associated with the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information about customers and employees. And since cyberattacks and data security breaches can have serious legal consequences, it is crucial that companies develop a proactive approach to data security and related privacy issues.
Our cybersecurity lawyers understand how information flows through the businesses of our clients. Our lawyers have extensive underlying subject matter experience in technology, banking and finance, healthcare, and all facets of civil litigation. In addition, many of our lawyers have hands-on business experience that informs our strategic advice on topics including privacy, cybersecurity, data breach, and records management. We also advise clients on compliance obligations and their implications in transactions, such as corporate governance and risk management, corporate transactions, and data transfers.
The experience of our lawyers has allowed us to develop industry-level capabilities, such as in healthcare, financial services, retail, communications, and transportation. Our lawyers have a significant amount of experience involving cyber incidents affecting healthcare clients, including legal issues related to HIPAA and patient privacy throughout Texas. Given that our offices are located in cities with major medical centers, we are strategically positioned to meet our clients’ needs.
Managing cybersecurity requires businesses to bring together professionals in business, technology, and legal. With that understanding, we provide the following services to our clients:
- Incident Preparedness: Our attorneys have significant experience both in managing the response to a cybersecurity incident that occurred and in advising clients on how to be prepared for future incidents. Our attorneys leverage their experience in managing complex cybersecurity incidents and their legal knowledge to assist clients in developing an incident response program designed to prepare any organization and its employees before a cyber threat or incident even happens.
- Risk Management: We advise companies about current regulatory rules in order to develop and implement strategies to mitigate their risks and comply with regulations. Our experience includes the creation of policies and procedures to address new risks and develop risk management plans. We regularly counsel clients who need answers quickly.
- Incident Response: We evaluate cyber incidents and prepare assessments in order to determine whether a reportable breach occurred. In the event a breach occurred, we guide the company through the data breach notification process. We have lawyers who are on the approved panel with a leading cyber liability insurance company, and who have successfully handled breaches affecting more than 55,000 people.
- Compliance and Enforcement: We represent clients facing regulatory compliance investigations and enforcement actions that occur from self-reported breach notifications or third party complaints. Regulatory agencies involved in compliance investigations and enforcement actions include the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights (OCR), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), State Attorney Generals, and Licensing Boards.
- Litigation: Our firm is comprised primarily of trial lawyers. And our litigation team is available to represent clients in cyber and privacy litigation arising from data loss or destruction, data theft, HIPAA violations, misappropriation of trade secrets, and business disputes. Our experienced attorneys defend against claims and investigations arising out of cybersecurity and privacy incidents.
Texas Cybersecurity and Privacy Lawyers
Cybersecurity lawyers must be knowledgeable concerning the statutory framework and applicable government regulations, and understand the underlying business and technical processes involved in each case. MehaffyWeber lawyers have handled cases like yours for over 70 years. Contact us today.